When I decided to take on the challenge of re-writing another author’s story, one that was well-received in its own day (more later about why I decided to try this crazy experiment), I knew that I needed to find a story that I could make my own, without have to completely re-imagine it. I needed a story that would not simply appeal to readers today, but one that would appeal to me — enough to keep me writing and polishing until my new version is in publishable form. But it also needed to be story in which I could see room for improvement — or at least room for me to put my mark on it — lest the project result in little more than a lengthy exercise in technique.
So my task from the beginning was two-fold: to find a suitable story, and then to find ways to make it my own. Continue reading